Can you study on a dependent visa?

F-2 and M-2 dependents can participate in studies at a SEVP-certified school in the United States as long as they are enrolled in less than one full course of study. J-2 Dependents A J-2 dependent can study full or part time in the United States. Dependent children on F-2 visas can study at a primary or secondary school (from kindergarten to twelfth grade) and at the post-secondary level (college or university). If you are a student whose dependents want to change their status, seek guidance from the ISS office.

There are currently no restrictions for dependents to study in the UK. There are no restrictions on the level or type of study, but dependents are advised to obtain ATAS authorization if they are studying a course that would normally require it. There are no study restrictions for dependents of the student path. If you are a dependent person who intends to study in the UK, you should be aware that if you are studying in a program that requires ATAS authorization, you will need to obtain an ATAS certificate before you can start your program.

UK International Student Affairs Council (UKCISA) Provides Information on Dependent Visas. The spouse and minor unmarried children (under 2 years of age) of the F-1 student may be admitted to the U.S. UU. In classification F-2, if each dependent files a SEVIS Form I-20 issued in their own name and an F-2 visa.

Once the F-1 student has completed their studies and has left the U.S. Dependent children over 21 are no longer eligible for F-2 status and will need to move to another state, such as F-1 (for full-time students) if they want to stay in the U.S. Spouse F-2 and children of an F-1 student cannot accept employment in the U.S. However, they can do volunteer work as long as there is no compensation of any kind and the dependent F-2 is doing work usually done by volunteers.

For more information on U-M's policies on volunteer work, see the U-M Volunteer Guidelines. F-2 dependents can also study full-time in vocational or recreational studies, such as hobbies. Children under F-2 must meet compulsory education requirements to attend kindergarten until 12th. However, an F-2 dependent who wants to enroll full-time in a postsecondary academic or vocational course must apply and obtain approval to change nonimmigrant status to F-1, J-1, or M-1 before starting their full-time study.

The letter would need to confirm the amount they are providing to cover the living costs of any dependents. Please note that it may take up to 4 months for USCIS to approve employment authorization and that dependent J-2 cannot begin work until they have received an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card. Dependents of an international student can apply for their F-2 or J2 visas at the same time that the international student applies for an F-1 or J-1 visa, or they can apply for their F-2 or J-2 visas at a later date. The Home Office reports that the requirement is to have had their current visa for at least 12 months at the time of application, rather than the person in charge being based in the UK for the entire period.

Remember that family members will need your time and attention, and you will need to find a way to balance those needs with your studies. F-2 dependents can receive their visas and admission to the United States with you on the basis of Form I-20 issued in your name. Once an F-1 student has completed their program of study, the F-1 student and their F-2 dependent (s) are eligible to stay in the United States for up to 60 days. Once a J-1 student has completed their program of study, student J-1 and their dependent (s) J-2 are eligible to stay in the United States for up to 30 days.

Your dependents must apply for a visa at the same time as you or once you have already been granted a student visa. Only spouse and minor unmarried children (under 21) are eligible to enter the United States in dependent status. The student, academic, or employee can add a dependent spouse to their record, and the spouse can obtain a dependent visa status (F-2, J-2, or H-.

Aishat Okolo
Aishat Okolo

Aishat Okolo is an experienced guide for students looking to study in the USA. She is committed to providing valuable advice and insights to help students navigate their educational journey. Aishat holds a Master's degree in International Education from the University of Nottingham.

Leave Message

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *