Can dependent visa study in usa?

F-2 and M-2 dependents can study at an SEVP certified school in the United States, as long as they are enrolled in less than one full course of study. J-2 dependentsA J-2 dependent can study full or part time in the United States. Dependent children with F-2 visas can study in an elementary or secondary school (kindergarten through 12th grade) and at the post-secondary level (college or university). If you are a student whose dependents want to change their status, seek guidance from the ISS office. For more information on studying in the USA, including SEVP certified schools, please visit for a comprehensive list of SEVP certified schools in the United States.

Both the H4 visa and the L2 visa fall into the dependent visa category. H1B visa dependents and L1 visa holders can apply for an H4 visa and an L2 visa respectively to accompany them to the U.S. UU. The dependent can be any immediate family member, such as spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21.

You are eligible to work and study in the U.S. UU. with a dependent visa. The H1B visa and the L1 visa are nonimmigrant visas for temporary workers in the U.S.

The L1 visa is particularly for intra-company transfer employees who are in management positions. Online Guidance for New Students J-1 English Language Requirement Tax Information for International Students and Scholars Future International Employees J-1 Short-Term Consultations & Classes Checklist Checklist English Language Requirement J-1 Certification Compliance Questionnaire I-129 Office of Multiculturals Student Affairs Message from IAO Director Tamara Felden on Ending the Defense of Marriage Act Office of Dual Career Services Serves College Professors and Their Spouses. English Corner for H-1B Employees, J-1 Scholars, and Their Spouses English Corner is a free, informal conversational English class offered to H-1B employees, J-1 fellows, and all spouses. Instructors are native English speakers who engage participants in cultural debates while promoting communication skills.

English Corner provides a warm learning environment that strives to promote companionship and friendship. Volunteering Volunteering is an excellent option for those who are not allowed to work in the U.S. Work experience before finding work. Volunteering is also a good way to get familiar with the community.

The University's Community Service Center can help you find volunteer opportunities that match your skills, availability, and interests. If permission to work is granted, an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) is issued that is valid for any type of full-time or part-time employment for the period of time established in the EAD. Although regulations allow employment authorization to be granted for up to 4 years at a time, USCIS may decide to grant a shorter period. The J-2 employment authorization expires with the expiration of the EAD, and the mere submission of an application for a new authorization does not allow employment during the adjudication process.

J-2 EAD applicants are not eligible for the automatic 180-day extension of their EAD while an EAD renewal is pending By U, S. Government regulations, only married spouses can obtain dependent visa status. The student, academic, or employee can add a dependent spouse to their record, and the spouse can obtain dependent visa status (F-2, J-2, or H-. For students, the choice between F-1 and J-1 status will affect their spouses' work and study options.

Visit our website for admitted students to learn about grading requirements and other differences between status F and J. To add a dependent spouse to your F-1 or J-1 student status, review the steps on our Add a Dependent page. To add a dependent spouse to your J-1 Scholar status, complete this form J-1 Scholar Request to Add a Dependent. The OIA does not provide immigration advice for work visas outside of the University of Chicago, but we will provide a reference list of immigration lawyers in the Chicago area if you request it.

Dear International Spouse or Partner, As you may already know from our home page, the U.S. Supreme Court decision that Defense of Marriage Act is unconstitutional now makes it possible for same-sex spouses to obtain immigration benefits that were previously unavailable to them. If your marriage to your same-sex spouse occurred in a country or in the U.S. UU., S.

State where same-sex marriage is legally recognized, you are eligible for dependent immigration status, assuming all other eligibility requirements for the state are met. Therefore, you may now be eligible for F-2, J-2, H-4, or TD status and, if you choose, you can apply for a change of status. You can find more information about dependent status elsewhere on this page and your OIA advisor will gladly guide you through the process or, if your situation is more complicated, help you find an attorney who can help you. However, even if this applies to you, we hope that you consider the OIA to be one of your main supporters at the University of Chicago.

The many types of resources and events we offer are designed to help you in as many ways as possible and to help you feel at home in a large international community that has a lot in common with you. The system of higher education institutions includes many colleges such as community colleges, liberal arts colleges, technical colleges, tribal colleges, regional universities, research institutions and universities, etc. There are also many law and medical schools. If you have an H4 visa (dependent visa), you can go to school or university without a change in your visa status.

There are some exceptions to the case, but if you're worried about applying for the student (F) visa to study, think again. Is it possible to enroll in a college or school with a dependent visa. F-1 student's spouse and unmarried minor children (under 2) may be admitted to the U.S. In classification F-2, if each dependent files a SEVIS I-20 form issued in their own name and an F-2 visa. 

Once the F-1 student has completed their studies and has left the U.S. Dependent children 21 and older are no longer eligible for F-2 status and will need to change to another state, such as F-1 (for full-time students) if they want to stay in the U.S. F-2 Spouse and Children of an F-1 Student Cannot Accept Employment in the U.S. However, they can do volunteer work as long as there is no compensation of any kind and the F-2 dependent is doing work that is usually done by volunteers.

For more information on U-M policies on volunteer work, see the U-M Volunteer Guidelines. F-2 dependents can also study full-time in vocational or recreational studies, such as hobbies. Children under F-2 must meet mandatory education requirements to attend kindergarten through grade. However, an F-2 dependent who wants to enroll full-time in a post-secondary academic or vocational course must seek and obtain approval to change nonimmigrant status to F-1, J-1, or M-1 before starting full-time studies.

You will need to attach copies of the new financial documentation, the identification page of your dependent's passport and proof of your relationship (marriage or birth certificate). An important point to remember is that the fee structure of many community colleges depends on the applicant's state of residence in that particular state. If you have the H4 visa, you can find an organization to sponsor your work visa or you can get an employment authorization by applying for an H4 EAD. We also conduct free mock visa interviews by professionals living in the U.S.

to help you better prepare for your visa interview. Government requires all international students and their dependents to provide proof of financial resources. If you plan to bring your family with you at the beginning of your studies, you must submit your dependent documents and funds as part of your admissions process. Similarly, F-2 dependent children are encouraged to apply for a change to F-1 student status before their 21st birthday to continue their studies at UW-Madison.

The only difference is that a dependent visa holder cannot get any financial aid or apply for an OPT (the optional one-year practical training, after completing the course). Note that it can take up to 4 months for USCIS to approve the employment authorization and that dependent J-2 cannot begin work until he has received an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card. A student with F-1 must maintain their status for the F-2 dependent to remain in the United States.

Simon Gooch
Simon Gooch

"Simon Gooch is a seasoned professional with a passion for transforming the landscape of international education. With over two decades of experience in the education industry, he has excelled in roles that encompass student recruitment, market development, and educational consulting. Currently serving as the Global Sales Director for ELS Educational Services, Inc., Simon's commitment to expanding educational access is evident in his work overseeing agent sales worldwide, with a particular focus on ELS centers across the USA. His career journey also includes founding Seed Educational Consulting Ltd, a B2B and B2C agency dedicated to helping students from Africa pursue higher education opportunities in various countries. Simon's strong leadership, exceptional agent relationship management, and proficiency in opening new and emerging markets have played pivotal roles in his successful career.Simon's academic background further strengthens his expertise, a fluent French speaker holding a First-Class degree in French and Modern European Studies from the University of East Anglia. His specialties lie in customer relationship management with a clear focus on agents, parents/students, and university partners. Simon's remarkable track record in developing emerging markets, particularly in Russia, the Middle East, and Africa, showcases his ability to drive consistent and long-term growth in these regions. With a deep commitment to educational access and international collaboration, Simon Gooch continues to make a significant impact in the field of international education."

Leave Message

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *